Following a ‘list challenge’ from Tristan Higbee, I thought about what lists of resources and information would be useful to couriers and other road users.
Over the next few days I will start to add them, today I thought I would start with ‘what Apps couriers would find useful on their iPhones‘ list (other than Angry Birds ). These Apps are not Sat Nav replacements, if you don’t have a live traffic system or are an owner driver wondering whether to invest in a Sat Nav, these Apps will help you decide what features you will use. Of course you may like them so much you just use a basic sat nav and keep all the apps.
- Finding cheap fuel is an essential for the courier owner-driver. Some of the apps, paid and free don’t work particularly well in this area. This is no use to a courier who is out of their local area and looking to get refueled. Tesco Finder is a nifty little app that will help you locate the nearest Tesco with a fuel station. You can avoid the high motorway services and get a good local rate for your fuel. This is a free app.
- The Met Office Weather App, always useful for knowing what you are driving into. If you are driving a long distance then checking the weather in advance can prepare you for snow, rain, hail and floods. It also shows visibility which is very useful for drivers. This means you can work out if you need to take one flask of hot tea or two
- Quoting on the job? QuickMPG will calculate the mileage for you. It will also work out your miles per gallon. If you keep a note of this you will be able accurately monitor your fuel consumption and get advance warning of any maintenance issues (before you pay out an extra tenner a week in fuel). Keeping note of you fuel consumption also helps you drive more fuel efficiently. This a free app, so you have no excuse
- The RAC App is excellent for road closures. Used with the iWeather app you can get your sat nav to route you round the closed roads. It’s updated frequently and shows the closures or heavily congested areas on a Google Map. Again this is a free app. You can spend 59p to upgrade to the traffic plus. This is ideal for couriers who don’t use the live trafficing system on their Sat Navs or couriers who are starting out and wondering whether they should bother with a Sat Nav.
- Waiting time? Loading time? A Timer App is essential, they can also be used to count down the time until you have until you move the vehicle, if you are parked up. No more parking tickets and be paid according to the job you are doing. Jamie Olivers 30 minute timer app is ideal for this and gives you nice recipes. Go Jamie!
Travel on the roads a lot? What are your favourite iPhone apps for travel?